I have a vision of Santa Clara that is enriched, engaged, thriving, and provides a sustainable and brighter future for all! I see residents and youth involved in representing the community, encouraged and empowered to be the next and future leaders. It’s been my home for over 15 years, and I feel proud to be a part of it! Santa Clara is in a unique location – surrounded by amazing companies of innovation, home to highly skilled and talented residents new and old; it has a strong heritage, rich cultures, a variety of places and treasures to enjoy, and so much more!
However, many past actions and decisions have created a not-so-rosy future for us. The city of Santa Clara has a small-town feel but has faced big-city problems for the last decade and also has poor planning for the future. Here is a partial list:
- Finances and Budgets
- Operating with a deficit of $10M per year
- Diminished and Limited revenue streams
- Numerous lawsuits
- Poor tourism and marketing appeal
- Poor Planning and Management For Community Benefit/ Services
- Limited community benefits from developer agreements
- Poor Contracts
- Shortage of housing and affordable housing
- Behind on infrastructure, community programs, and support
- Community Voice and Impacts
- Insufficient community participation in decision making
- Increase in thefts
- The decrease in quality of life and increase in pressures
- Politically divided by the ‘politics as usual’
- Discourage minority and grassroots representation on the council
***We are coming into FY 2021 more shorthanded by COVID with an over $20M deficit.
A new reality has been forced by COVID that no one can escape, and will need more creative and mindful solutions than ever. People will need more support because of greater economic hardships, inequity, child or senior care, education, vulnerabilities, and health risks. The BLM movement has also reignited the fight for greater justice and equity and the people are more engaged and demand better from leaders. More than ever, new leaders are needed to provide diverse perspectives, fresh ideas, and solutions for all residents and the coming generations.
Santa Clara Northside, District 1, has many assets and challenges to care for. It needs a new voice to join the council in decision making. My community leadership and service background, collaborative approach, solutions mindset, and diverse professional experiences allow me to be the right choice from District 1. I am not a politician, but a civic entrepreneur at heart. I will work with the community to create a sustainable and brighter future for all! For me, it is about the ‘WE’ and not the ‘ME’!
We must care for one another and use the power of the community to get through these times and see a brighter day. Thank you to all those being mindful of COVID safety measures, and especially our health care and front line workers, and teachers, and school staff! Thank you!